Do I Have to Get My Ex-Spouse’s Permission to Take My Children to Universal Studios Hollywood?

Hossein Berenji, May 24, 2024

After a divorce, you may be left with many questions about how to move forward. Divorce can bring about numerous changes and challenges, especially when it comes to matters of child custody. One common question is whether a parent needs their ex-spouse’s permission to take their children on outings or vacations. 

In this blog post, we’ll explore whether you need an ex-spouse’s permission to take your child to Universal Studios Hollywood

How Can a Divorce Impact Child Custody Under California Law?

In California, child custody arrangements are typically established during the divorce process or through a separate custody proceeding. The court will consider various factors, including the child’s best interests, when determining custody and visitation rights. Custody may be awarded as joint (shared) or sole custody, with visitation schedules outlined accordingly.

After a divorce or separation, creating a custody agreement can help ensure the well-being and care of your children. A custody agreement also outlines a parenting plan. It discusses the terms and conditions regarding custody, visitation, and parental responsibilities. 

Here’s a breakdown of what typically goes into a custody agreement in California:

Common Features of a Child Custody Agreement

Each custody agreement is unique and tailored to the specific needs of the family. 

However, there are several common features:

  • Legal Custody: The authority to make important decisions about the child’s life. This can include decisions about education, healthcare, and religious upbringing. Legal custody may be awarded jointly (shared) or solely to one parent.
  • Physical Custody: Where the child will live and how much time they will spend with each parent. Physical custody may also be shared jointly or awarded solely to one parent. Visitation rights are granted to the non-custodial parent.
  • Visitation Schedule: A detailed schedule outlining when the child will spend time with each parent. This includes weekdays, weekends, holidays, and school breaks.
  • Communication and Cooperation: Provisions encouraging open communication and cooperation between parents. Communication is needed for important decisions affecting the child’s welfare.
  • Dispute Resolution: Disputes may arise regarding custody or visitation. These can be resolved by mediation or by seeking court intervention.
  • Relocation Restrictions: Parents may not be allowed to move with the child outside of a specified geographic area. Typically, these restrictions require prior consent or court approval to move out of that geographic area.

There may be additional features or elements of a custody agreement, depending upon a family’s unique circumstances. 

Modifying a Custody Agreement

Custody agreements may be modified for various reasons. These include changes in work schedules, relocation, or a change in the child’s needs. To modify a custody agreement, a parent must petition the court. They must then demonstrate that there is a valid reason for the change.

Consulting a family law attorney can help ensure that your custody agreement meets your family’s unique needs.

What Kinds of Things Do Not Require Permission from an Ex-Spouse?

You may not need your ex-spouse’s permission for certain everyday activities and outings. 

These may include:

  • Routine outings such as trips to the park, movies, or local attractions
  • Participating in extracurricular activities or school events
  • Medical or dental appointments during your designated parenting time
  • Short-term travel within the state or nearby areas specified in your custody agreement

You should consult your custody agreement to understand what is allowed in your case.

What Kinds of Activities Do Require Permission from an Ex-Spouse?

More significant outings or travel plans may require your ex-spouse’s permission. 

Examples of activities that may need permission include:

  • Extended vacations or trips outside of the state or country
  • Participation in activities that interfere with the other parent’s scheduled visitation time
  • Overnight stays with friends or relatives that aren’t in the custody agreement

A trip to Universal Studios Hollywood can fall into one or more of these categories. Activities that impact the custody schedule or that involve long-distance travel typically need permission.

Contact a Los Angeles Child Custody Lawyer For Guidance

Navigating child custody issues can be complex. It can be difficult to determine what activities require permission from your ex-spouse. If you’re unsure about what your custody agreement allows, you should consult a Los Angeles family law attorney.

Beverly Hills Office
9595 Wilshire Blvd Ste 959
Beverly Hills CA 90212
(310) 271-6290

Los Angeles Office
550 S. Hill Street STE 1467
Los Angeles, CA 90013
(213) 985-3007